Multi-Tools You Ask?
Multi-Tools are hand tools that have multiple functions all in one tool. They often are small and compact and provide a wide range of functions. Whether you’re a homeowner, renter, outdoorsman, RV’er or handyperson there are plenty of multi-tools out there for everyone.
History of Multi-Tools
According to Wikipedia, the idea of incorporating several tools in one small portable unit goes back as far as Middle Roman times where they had tools that were based around eating.
Then comes along the pocket knife. A lot of people consider this the steppingstone for modern multitools. Although many of these had several functions – the functions mainly consisted of such things as a knife, a bottle opener and/or scissors.
Although these are extremely handy and popular it wasn’t until Tim Leatherman (yes there is actually a Mr. Leatherman!) designed and brought to market the Leatherman Tool. According to Leatherman’s site the idea stemmed from a budget trip to Europe in 1975. Tim and his wife Chau constantly came across leaky hotel plumbing and were faced with road-side fixes for their cranky Fiat. He realized the need for a pliers based, multi-purpose tool. "I was carrying a scout knife and used it for everything from slicing bread to fixing the car. But I kept wishing I had a pair of pliers!".
When Tim came back to the states, he took his “multi-tool” idea, some sketches he made on the trip and got to work. The original Leatherman tool was called the PST (aka the Pocket Survival Tool). Eight years in the making, the PST comprised of 13 different tools and folded up into a five-ounce, four-inch multi-tool.
Do I need a Multitool?
- Convenience Factor – multitools are small and compact. They typically sit in your pocket, on your keychain, on your belt or in your purse.
- Efficiency - multitools normally have an array of different tools. Need scissors? Check. Need a knife? Yes. Need a bottle opener? Of course.
- Being Prepared – you never know where you will be or what situation you may encounter. Maybe you are on the side of the road, perhaps you are on the job site a distance from your toolbox or perhaps you are camping and didn’t bring your toolbox!
- Practicality – Multitools offer a wide range of functionality. They can help open mail or packages, open those dreaded blister packs, remove a splinter, or cut a piece of drywall.
How Do I Find the Right One?
There is a wide variety of multitools with an array of different functions. What your passion, business or trade may dictate which functions you need.
- An electrician might want one that has a knife, wire stripper or screwdriver.
- A general contractorcould want pliers and a knife.
- A plumber probably would prefer a wrench and pliers.
- Carpenters may want a utility knife and saw blade.
- First Responders would benefit from a glass breaker and a seat belt cutter.
- Crafters, designers and decorators might want scissors for their everyday tasks.
- A homeowner might want screwdrivers, a knife or pliers.
- RV, vanlife or overlanding enthusiasts will be looking for pliers, a screwdriver or scissors.
The Quest to Find the Multitool with the Most Functionality for You
With so many choices it is best to decide what functionality would make your life easier and then search for the tool that checks off as many boxes as possible. If you are in the market for your perfect multitool check out Defiance Tools where we offer a wide range of multitool products!
Good luck with your multitool quest,Zoe’ Coulcher ~ Co- Founder Defiance Tools